Almost Perfect by Brian Katcher
Date Finished: July 27 2014
Date Published: October 13th 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Age Group/Genre: Young Adult / Realistic Fiction
Rating: 4 stars out of 5
You only hurt the ones you love.
Logan Witherspoon recently discovered that his girlfriend of three years cheated on him. But things start to look up when a new student breezes through the halls of his small-town high school. Sage Hendricks befriends Logan at a time when he no longer trusts or believes in people. Sage has been homeschooled for a number of years and her parents have forbidden her to date anyone, but she won’t tell Logan why. One day, Logan acts on his growing feelings for Sage. Moments later, he wishes he never had. Sage finally discloses her big secret: she’s actually a boy. Enraged, frightened, and feeling betrayed, Logan lashes out at Sage and disowns her. But once Logan comes to terms with what happened, he reaches out to Sage in an attempt to understand her situation. But Logan has no idea how rocky the road back to friendship will be.
- Story-line: This book was one of the first books “controversial” books I added to my list. Now, this book is not very controversial, but when I was younger, this was as controversial as it got. (I was a little sheltered as a child, can you tell?) It took me quite a while to get used to this book. I couldn’t figure out if I liked the main character or not, so I was really apprehensive when I picked this up. The thing that kept me going was Sage (I love her, but more on that later). Overall I enjoyed this book a lot. It was very different than I thought it would be, but still wonderful.
- Characters: Now, on to my love for Sage. I LOVED SAGE. She was wonderful. There are only a few characters that I want to be friends with in real life, and now, Sage is at the very top. I just feel like we would get along. Logan, the main character, was okay. There were times towards the beginning of the book - where I had not yet fallen in love with Safe - where I wanted to stop because Logan was being an Ass. It’s okay though, Sage made everything okay.
- Writing: It was okay. I wasn’t in love with it but I didn’t at it. The font was really hard for me to read. I got lost in it a few times.
- Ending: I kind of wanted more.
- Extras: I really wish that I could continue this story just to see what happens to Sage <3